Monday, June 25, 2012

Paris, France. June 2012

Leaving Australia allowed me to be in such a delicate emotional state of mind.

Parisian Park, June 2012


I spent my last few days in the country of Australia in Melbourne with my friends Elle Graham and Mitch Nordine in their beautiful home filled with warmth. I had such a lovely time there and to feel that at home before leaving the country made it feel so special and the thought of leaving so soft. I spent my days there rugged up sleeping long and spending the nights chatting until all hours. We had a beautiful brunch and sat out in the chilly air in their courtyard eating a sweet meal Aaron had prepared to say thank-you for our stay. The last night we had a dinner party with some old friends and I made a special cake with raspberries. It was wonderful to spend time with Elle, a friend I will always treasure and be and inspired by.

Travelling across the globe to Paris was a very large adventure in itself. Feeling disorientated and in another world after such a long time without sleep. Arriving in China to convert flights was a quest. How was I supposed to spend my time sleeping with all those thoughts though? Leaving what I am comfortable with. Leaving my routine. I don't feel I am usually one that lives life in routine but it is human nature for us all to fall into patterns.

The thought of having the next few years at my fingertips to photograph, film, write, create and explore Europe gives me butterflies and endless thought processes.

To be in France with my favourite person in this world and to share all the same passions and lust for life is a gift I will treasure each day of this journey.




 Pensive Aaron deep in thought



Fresh Strawberries.




 Paris by day.

Our lovely apartment in Paris, toasting our journeys.






My favourite bookstore in the world is Shakespeare and Company, it is situated on the River Seine here in Paris. Young artists from all over the world come to volunteer their artistic abilities in the form of teaching workshops/inspirational talks and just overall help to run the bookstore. The book shop is filled with treasures, the second level overlooks the river and holds a never-ending library and a piano of which there is usually a lone pianist playing as all are welcome to play.

 I have spent a lot of my time in Paris in the bookstore reading old novels and watching travellers come and go all content and marvelling in the friendliness and feeling of home it holds. I love it for its smell and it's warmth and the way it makes me feel as though I am at home with my family around a roaring bonfire.



I found out visiting this time that the owner sadly passed away last year. When I travelled in 2010 my favourite painting at the Portrait Gallery in London turned out to be of the owner of this very same bookstore. When I visited Paris a few months later I recognised the elderly owner (whose daughter would sit him out on a lovely green vintage chair in front of the bookstore overlooking the river with his dog every afternoon at 1pm with an ice-cream.) Today sadly this man was nowhere to be seen. His dog was there laying in the sun. Aaron and I spent sometime upstairs reading of which the dog would frequently come to visit and would whimper. It made me feel very sad for him, it is usually dogs pass away before their owners. I wonder how the dog understand this, his best friend and loyal companion leaving without a trace.



2 comments:

  1. lovely, jess! I often wonder how pets deal with their owner's death; a beautiful film that addresses this somewhat is "Beginners" with Ewan McGregor- I highly recommend it.

    I looking forward to catching up with you whilst in Paris en juillet!

    x Grace
    www.alienfeetfashion.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your words and photos are so lovely. I wish I had the dedication to blog as beautifully as you do!

    ReplyDelete